The Atlantic, Senior Developer
- Lead the switch to responsive design as principal developer on The Wire's redesign.
- Principal developer on advertising. Rebuilt integrations from the ground up to be fast, flexible, robust, and easy to AB test and troubleshoot. This allowed us to:
- Improve Viewability by over 100%, meeting industry requirements.
- Understand what affects ad load time and make informed decisions to improve it.
- Build out a suite of troubleshooting and reporting tools to help identify problems early and solve them without hours of guesswork.
- Build Ad Free product, an alternative way for readers who feel strongly about blocking ads to support our journalism.
- Built many things: TheAtlantic.com's Video channel, Vimeo store, events site, and bespoke cover stories, to name a few.
- Refactored many things, including: our Sponsored Content CMS, email newsletters, and Notes.
- Vetted and integrated third party vendors. Occasionally helped them track down bugs.
- Helped build out "Ollie," the Django platform and CMS for Atlantic web properties, including evolving best practices to make the codebase stable and fast to iterate on. Built out useful documentation and unit test coverage.
- Helped newer developers get up to speed on our codebase and get stuff done.
Cerner, Web Developer
In the fallout from MPM I landed at a large healthcare IT consultancy, working on Patient Portal: a web app that allows people to access their medical records and helps hospitals meet federal requirements for EMR usage.
I tackled technical debt, refactored unmaintainable code, helped train recent compsci grads on Django and front-end development, and pushed for better adherence to best practices in web application development.
Mediaphormedia, Web Developer
Joined the Interactive Development (UI) team at the shop that invented Django, working on the Ellington CMS and Marketplace.
Reinvented our small business site-builder (similar to MediaTemple's Virb) with in-page drag-and-drop editing that vastly improved the user experience (and dramatically simplified the code). The plan was to apply this technique to other parts of Ellington, improving our customer-facing admin UI across the board.
Unfortunately, The World Company decided to shut down MPM.
Kansas City Star, Web Designer/Developer
One of two designer-developers responsible for building and maintaining the Star's entire digital portfolio. We worked with various stakeholders to support editorial staff with effective design and development solutions under tight deadlines.
I designed, developed and maintained a wide variety of web products, built up a collection of tools to automate tedious tasks and save editors time, integrated the newroom's new content management system into our homegrown Python/Django environment, and worked closely with writers and editors to ensure it all suited their needs.
GFK MRI, Intern
Full-stack developer. After a few years, what you know becomes "how to reliably build applications that solve problems," and choosing tools is just the first step.
Expert in Python and Django, with the works: Django Rest Framework, Celery, Pipeline or Compressor, Sqlite or MySQL/MariaDB, unit testing (with Mock), Fabric. Knows enough about servers to be dangerous (or host my own stuff), Nginx, Redis, Supervisord, Ubuntu.
Have dabbled in Flask, Swift, Ruby, but I tend to focus on building depth in a narrow, powerful set of tools.
University of Missouri: School of Journalism, Honors College
Graduated Cum Laude, 2010