The Atlantic, Senior Developer
- Lead the switch to responsive design as principal developer on The Wire's redesign. Introduced new techniques and practices like component-centric development, and tackled some of the hardest problems in responsive design (i.e., ads and embedded content). This laid the foundation for all our sites becoming responsive.
- Principal developer on advertising. Rebuilt integrations from the ground up to be fast, very flexible, robust, and easy to AB test and troubleshoot. This allowed us to:
- Meet viewability requirements and begin hunting down ways to make ads faster and easier on the browser.
- Build out a suite of troubleshooting and reporting tools to help identify problems early and solve them without hours of guesswork. The record of this data allows us to improve metrics over time.
- Built many things: TheAtlantic.com's Video channel, events site, and bespoke cover stories, to name a few.
- Upgraded our existing Sponsor Content Tool to support multi-tenancy and infinite scroll, giving the advertising team the tools and flexibility to create sleek, modern sponsor content campaigns.
- Tamed the beast that is email newsletters.
- Evaluated and worked with third party vendors.
- Helped build out "Ollie," the Django platform and CMS for Atlantic web properties, including evolving best practices to make the codebase stable and fast to iterate on.
- Helped bring new developers up to speed.
Cerner, Web Developer
In the fallout from MPM I landed at a large healthcare IT consultancy, working on Patient Portal: a web app that allows people to access their medical records and helps hospitals meet federal requirements for EMR usage.
I tackled technical debt, refactored unmaintainable code, helped train recent compsci grads on Django and front-end development, and pushed for better adherence to best practices in web application development.
Mediaphormedia, Web Developer
Joined the Interactive Development (UI) team at the shop that invented Django, working on the Ellington CMS and Marketplace.
Reinvented our small business site-builder (similar to MediaTemple's Virb) with in-page drag-and-drop editing that vastly improved the user experience (and dramatically simplified the code). The plan was to apply this technique to other parts of Ellington, improving our customer-facing admin UI across the board.
Unfortunately, The World Company decided to shut down MPM.
Kansas City Star, Web Designer/Developer
One of two designer-developers responsible for building and maintaining the Star's entire digital portfolio. We worked with various stakeholders to support editorial staff with effective design and development solutions under tight deadlines.
I designed, developed and maintained a wide variety of web products, built up a collection of tools to automate tedious tasks and save editors time, integrated the newroom's new content management system into our homegrown Python/Django environment, and worked closely with writers and editors to ensure it all suited their needs.
GFK MRI, Intern
Expert in Python and Django, with the works: Celery, Pipeline or Compressor, Sqlite or MySQL/MariaDB, unit testing (with Mock), Fabric, Nginx, Redis.
Dabbles in Flask and Swift.
Of course, at some point what you know becomes "how to build applications that solve problems," and choosing tools is just the first step.
University of Missouri: School of Journalism, Honors College
Graduated Cum Laude, 2010