The Atlantic, Web Developer
Washington, DC, Apr 2013-Present
- Lead the switch to responsive design as principle developer on The Wire's redesign. Introduced new techniques and practices like component-centric development, and tackled some of the hardest problems in responsive design (i.e., ads and embedded content). This laid the foundation for all our sites becoming responsive.
- Rewrote all of our existing ad infrastructure to tackle new viewability requirements.
- Built TheAtlantic.com's Video channel, and collaborated with Vimeo to on a video on demand store.
- Upgraded our existing Sponsor Content Tool to support multi-tenancy and infinite scroll, giving the advertising team the tools and flexibility to create sleek, modern (and of course, responsive) campaigns.
- Created the premium "features" presentation for our events team.
- Helped build out "Ollie," the Django CMS/platform for Atlantic web properties, including evolving best practices to make the codebase stable and fast to iterate on.
Cerner, Web Developer
Kansas City, Aug 2012-Mar 2013
In the fallout from MPM I landed at a large healthcare IT consultancy, working on Patient Portal: a web app that allows people to access their medical records and helps hospitals meet federal requirements for EMR usage.
I tackled technical debt, did a lot of refactoring, helped train recent compsci grads on Django and front-end development, and pushed for better adherence to best practices in web application development.
Mediaphormedia, Web Developer
Lawrence, Kansas, Feb 2012-Aug 2012
Joined the Interactive Development (UI) team at the shop that invented Django, working on the Ellington CMS and Marketplace.
I tackled a wide variety of features, including pragmatic HTML5 video and mobile geolocation for search, and reinvented our small business site-builder (similar to MediaTemple's Virb) with in-page drag-and-drop editing that vastly improved the user experience (and dramatically simplified the code). The plan was to apply this technique to other parts of Ellington, improving our customer-facing admin UI across the board.
Unfortunately, The World Company decided to shut down MPM.
Kansas City Star, Web Designer/Developer
Kansas City, Aug 2010-Feb 2012
One of two developers responsible for building and maintaining the Star's entire digital portfolio. We worked with various stakeholders to support editorial staff with effective design and development solutions under tight deadlines.
I designed, developed and maintained a wide variety of microsites, blogs, and niche products, built up a collection of tools to automate tedious tasks and save editors time, integrated the newroom's new content management system into our homegrown Python/Django environment, and worked closely with writers and editors to ensure it all suited their needs.
Columbia Missourian, Designer
Columbia (Mizzou), Aug 2009-Dec 2009
Designed the front page of the Columbia Missourian daily newspaper. Worked on deadline to create clean, content-oriented designs that make the paper more appealing to readers.
GFK MRI, Intern
New York, Jun 2009-Aug 2009
Interned in New Ventures and Syndicated Research departments. Helped maintain ongoing studies and contributed to new research projects.
Columbia Missourian, Reporter
Columbia, May 2008-Aug 2008
Expert level Python+Django, with “the works”: Redis, Nginx, Celery, MySQL/MariaDB, unit testing (with Mock), Fabric, etc.
Of course, at some point what you know becomes “how to build applications that work,” and choosing tools is just the first step.
My personal server runs nginx with Gunicorn and Supervisord on Ubuntu.
University of Missouri
School of Journalism, Honors College
Graduated Cum Laude
Magazine Emphasis with a focus on Editorial Design